Saturday 1 May 2010

In the beginning....

My dad repeatedly tell this story from my childhood when he caught me sitting up in my room reading at 1:30 in the morning on a school night. I was in fifth or sixth grade. Ever since then I have not stopped reading. It should surprise no one that a girl that would read during PE went on to get a bachelors degree in English and history. Then a master's degree in history, work at a bookstore, and then become a librarian. Such is the typical plight of the liberal arts major. Fortunately, my job is anything but the stereotype and I am constantly learning about awesome new books.

I have a very distinct reading system, which is my main purpose for creating this blog. While I will read anything at least once, I tend to read in themes. That's right if I am in a fantasy mood, I will read fantasy books for several weeks or months until I move onto something else. I thought this was a bit odd until I stumbled upon a book titled Book Lust by fellow librarian Nancy Pearl.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Book-Lust/Nancy-Pearl/e/9781570613814/?itm=1&USRI=book+lust

In this book and its sequel Nancy Pearl breaks down books she has read by category and theme. Such as books from the south, boys growing up, etc etc. The pages of thematic reading fascinates me so I have challenged myself to complete my own reading lists. In order to find out what theme I have chosen for my great literary project stay tuned.. you will soon find out!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment