Saturday 14 May 2011

Sex and the City + Cupcakes= The Happy Baker by Erin Bolger


        My last Amazon haul included The Happy Baker: A Girl's Guide to Emotional Baking by Erin Bolger.  Erin is a Canadian make-up artist turned foodie. Throughout the book she alternates between funny stories about her dating life, and yummy baking recipes.  Erin does not discriminate when it comes to baked goods.  Her recipes include bars, cakes, cupcakes, bakes, and even biscotti! I enjoy the recipes with simple direction, and less than ten ingredients.  I feel like it will be a good quick guide when I need to whip something together with only items already in my pantry.  The stories in The Happy Baker are cute, but not  racy.  (I am sorry, but i think Chelsea Handler has ruined me for tales of female misadventures.)  Five stars are given for some of the recipe names.

Here are my favorites:
  1. My Mom Didn't Like You Anyway, Cupcake
  2. I Forgot to Mention I Was married, Blueberry Cheesecake
  3. Tall, Dark and Caramel Cookies
      Last night I tested the recipe "Maybe It's Destiny Dream Bars" from page 98.   The result was tasty with a nice crumbly brownie.  However, I think I may have put too much condensed milk on top because it sank straight to the bottom of the pan and caramelized a little too much.  Here are a few pics.


*My grandmother would've been so proud with the condensed milk, peanut butter, and chocolate chip topping*

*Yummy destiny bar*

1 comment:

  1. looks like such a cute book! I have to get one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete