Monday 2 May 2011

"Boredom is Death"~ Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice



"People who cease to believe in God or
 goodness altogether still believe in the devil. 
 I don't know why. No, I do indeed know why.  
Evil is always possible. 
And goodness is eternally difficult."
~Anne Rice Interview with the Vampire



*Lafayette Cemetery in the Garden District of New Orleans*

        I am ashamed to admit that I read Twilight before I read Interview with the Vampire.  Seriously, how could I have missed this in my "read everything supernatural" phase in high school?  My Edinburgh Book Club decided on our trip to NOLA last month that we all should experience the book together.  Although I liked what I read, I did not realize how different it really would be from what I expected.

        Anne Rice is part of the triumvirate of famous local authors in the Gulf Coast area.  (Another noteworthy example is John Grisham.)  Her first big novel was Interview with the Vampire published in the 1970s.  It begins with Louis's (the main vampire) story as he tells it to a random young man.  Anne Rice then begins a story of self-discovery of a immortal.  Her writing style is reminiscent of the great Gothic writers such as Mary Shelley or Elizabeth Gaskell.  Something a little dark, but very thoughtful.  Imagine the possibilities if mortal life never ended?  


         Anne Rice does use Interview as a springboard into her own struggle with religion, mortality, materialism, and love.  Years later she wrote Called Out of the Darkness about her own religious journey from atheism to Christianity.  I have really wanted to read it, but I am glad that I started with Interview before reading her autobiography or anymore of her supernatural novels.  
        

No comments:

Post a Comment