Monday 4 April 2011

There be Fairies... Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


       I have to admit that I am always looking for my next young adult obsession.  So when I saw the ninety-nine cent book deal for the first book in Melissa Marr's series for my Nook a few weekends ago I downloaded it right away.  This marks my third book in the eBook Challenge I am participating in this year.  During my weekend at Buccaneer State Park I finished the book, and I have to say that I was not too impressed.  The gist of the book deals with a fairy king looking for his lost queen among mortal women.  The main character, Aislinn, is a mortal that can see the invisible fairies among her, and is terrified when she attracts the attention of the king Keenan.  The rest of the book introduces characters such as an evil Winter Queen, a past love of Keenan's known as the Winter Girl, and a mortal love interest for Aislinn.

        I can summarize why this book is not my favorite:

  1.  Marr began to create a love triangle, and I do love a good love triangle!  However, she ended up falling short in creating an emotion pull towards either of the possible love interests.  It left me wanting a little something more.
  2. Section of the book read like an after school special. Although she made an attempt at acknowledging sex in the plot, she would quickly made comments about STD's as well as other pitfalls of teenage sex.  Randomly, one character even manages to mention going to a health screening for STDs.  I had a hard time believing any teenager would have that conversation or that it had any place in a dark fantasy novel.
  3. Without giving away spoilers, I did find some loose ends in the logic within the plot as well as unanswered questions at the end.
        That being said, I did not find the book completely unpleasant.  I enjoyed it for a quick weekend read, but I will not be rushing to download the sequels.  

No comments:

Post a Comment